Comments Off on Using Your Own Router with FiOS ONT Ethernet
Table of Contents
I have a Verizon Fios Internet-only service with a download speed of 50 Mbps, and I was able to ditch the coaxial line in favour of Ethernet and utilise my router. That implies you won’t have to pay any more leasing costs for routers. I’ve tested it with a few different routers and it presently works with my Google WiFi System. , Read more here about the Best Verizon Fios Compatible Routers available.
With Fios Ont Ethernet, You May Use Your Own Router
If you’re a regular visitor to our site, you’re well aware of the countless reasons why watching TV without cable is preferable. If you’ve already cut the cord, renting a router from your provider makes little sense when you can use your own. Why spend $10 a month for a wireless router when you can buy one for $100? This is particularly true if you have Verizon FiOS.
I have a Verizon Fios Internet-only service with a download speed of 50 Mbps, and I was able to ditch the coaxial line in favour of Ethernet and utilise my router. That implies you won’t have to pay any more leasing costs for routers. I’ve tested it with a few different routers and it presently works with my Google WiFi System.
Because the coaxial line is no longer required, you may use practically any router with FiOS internet instead of the one they need you to rent. Simply instruct Verizon to activate the FiOS ONT Ethernet port. This will enable you to access the internet without the usage of coaxial cable in your home. “What is an ONT?” you may wonder.
What Exactly Is An ONT?
“Optical Network Terminal” (ONT) is an acronym for “Optical Network Terminal” (ONT). The Verizon guy installs that hefty box for FiOS Internet, TV, and phone. This device receives fibre optic signals from Verizon’s backbone and converts them for usage with your home’s gadgets. When you sign up for Verizon FiOS, a Verizon technician will come to your home and instal an ONT if one isn’t already there.
The technician usually configures the ONT to have a Coax output. The Coax connection is then shared between a Verizon FiOS router and several Set Top Boxes for FiOS TV and internet. This is excellent for Cable TV subscribers, but it isn’t great for Internet-only clients like me.
It would be fantastic if Ethernet instead of Coax came from the FiOS ONT. A MoCA Wide Area Network (WAN) bridge is required to get the Coax output from the ONT. The router provided by FiOS operates as a MoCA bridge, transferring the signal to Ethernet for usage by devices on your network. MoCA stands for Multimedia over Cable.
Ethernet port on FiOS ONT
Did you realise that the ONT installed by Verizon includes an Ethernet output? Verizon’s default home installation includes Coax coming from the ONT since they want everyone to buy Cable TV from them. However, based on the image below, it looks like the FiOS ONT Ethernet port can provide an internet connection just as readily as Coax.
Related Articles :
- Verizon Fios vs. Optimum Internet Review 2021
- Verizon Fios Senior Discount- Updated Senior Citizen Triple Play Bundle
- How to Cancel Verizon FiOS Internet Service
- Verizon Fios TV One Review- Upgrade Cost, Packages ,Prices
- Verizon Fios Visa Gift Card Promotion 2021 – $200 Prepaid Reward Card Program
- Verizon Fios vs. Cablevision Optimum Internet – Comparisons, Speed ,Reviews
Using Fios With Your Router
These easy procedures will enable you to utilise your router instead of renting a Fios router after you’ve switched to Ethernet.
- If you haven’t done, unplug the coax connection and check that you have internet connectivity.
- Log in to your Fios Router using a web browser. The router log URL is http://192.168.1.1 unless you’ve altered any default network settings. The password is on a sticker on the router and the username is admin. (As an aside, changing these is usually a smart home network security practise.)
- Release your Fios router’s IP address. This is a crucial stage. When someone has problems getting their own router to operate with Fios, it’s usually because they haven’t released their IP address. To do so, just follow these steps:
- At the top of the page, click the My Network symbol.
- From the left-hand menu, choose Network Connections.
- Go to Broadband Connection and choose it.
- Select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Under DHCP Lease, scroll down and select Release. Then make the necessary adjustments. Turn off your Fios router after they’ve finished.
- Remove the Ethernet wire from your Fios router’s WAN/Internet port and connect it to the WAN/Internet port on your router. (Ensure that the other end of the cable is still connected to the ONT Ethernet port.)
- Start by turning on your router. Fios should then provide it with a new address.
- With your own router, you should now be able to connect to the Internet.
If All Else Fails Contact Verizon Support
Don’t be discouraged if you get a negative response.
- Request to speak with a supervisor if the support agent refuses or doesn’t comprehend what you’re saying. The call should be escalated to the next level of assistance. Because Verizon supports this feature, someone should ultimately respond to your request.
- Once you observe that the ONT’s Ethernet output is functioning, you may replace the Verizon router with the router of your choosing. Because you can utilise the existing Coax wires to pull the wires through, this might be a perfect chance to wire your home for Ethernet.
- You could even want to locate your primary router next to the ONT, allowing you to extend Ethernet cables from the router to other rooms around the home. This will enable the installation of Wi-Fi bridges throughout the home, guaranteeing that Wi-Fi coverage is available in every room.
- If you still have Verizon Cable TV, it is not suggested that you turn off MoCA. The video will not come through correctly even if their set-top boxes allow an Ethernet connection. Only Fios Internet Only clients are advised to use Ethernet from an ONT.
- The Ethernet output of your ONT may also be restricted to 100 Mbps, depending on its age. They should, however, be willing to come out and upgrade your ONT if your service justifies it. Gigabit Ethernet is supported by all newly installed ONTs. DSLreports keeps track of ONT manufacturers and models in this handy list.